2021 Race Schools
Stage 1 School
The VRRA Stage 1 School will instruct riders in the basic skills required for organized road racing competition. Riders who successfully pass this course will be eligible for a VRRA racing license and are also able to apply for a RACE license. Riders under the age of 18 years at the time of the scheduled school must contact the VRRA to obtain an underage consent form prior to application.
Date and Location:
The VRRA will hold its Stage 1 race school on Thursday, May 27th, 2021 at Shannonville Motorsports Park.
The cost for Stage 1 is $250 plus $125 for a mandatory one year VRRA membership. Both membership and Stage 1 school registrations are available on SeriesTracker. You will need to create a membership profile before you are able to sign up for the school. A membership includes a one year subscription to Inside Motorcycles and the VRRA Baffled Muffler.
Students must provide a suitable motorcycle. The motorcycle does not have to be a vintage bike nor does it have to be race prepared. Any suitable modern street machine (no cruisers) may be used for the Stage 1 School. The motorcycle and rider will require the following:
- Lockwired oil drain plug and oil filter
- Drain all antifreeze and replace with water only (water wetter accepted)
- All lights and mirrors must be removed and/or taped over
- Tires must be in good condition
- Both brakes must be functional and in good condition
- Full leathers either one piece or zip together two piece
Leather boots, minimum height of 8 inches from the top of the sole and overlapping the pants
- Full coverage helmet with face-shield, helmets must be certified by the manufacturer as Snell, BSI 6658 Type A or ECE/22-05 approved and must have a built date no older than 7 years (to the day)
- Back protection (separate protector or built into leathers)
- The day begins with a classroom session (7:30 a.m. sharp) explaining track rules and etiquette, track marshals, flags and their meaning, racing safety gear, and all other requirements for a racing license.
- Students will learn VRRA race weekend procedures, registration, machine preparation and technical requirements.
- Classroom sessions will be followed by a track walk with explanations of the racing line, brake markers, cornering techniques and starting procedures.
- The remainder of the day will be on-track riding sessions working with an experienced and skilled control rider. Students will learn racing skills including correct racing lines, braking and acceleration points, correct body positioning and on-track behaviour.
- The last session of the day will see all students assembling on the grid to practice race starts and if the day goes well… maybe even a few laps of mock racing.
Terms and Conditions:
- We will only accept pre-entry for the school. Applications will not be accepted at the track.
- The Stage 1 school is limited to 24 students. If more than 24 riders sign up, a reserve list will be created in case any rider withdraws.
- The schools will operate rain or shine.
- If we have a full Stage 1 School (24 riders) and for any reason you cannot attend, we will attempt to fill your seat. If the school is not full, no refunds will be considered.
- To sign up for the school please visit SeriesTracker.
Stage 1 School students will meet at 7:30 a.m. on the fourth floor of the RACE facilities building. Students should enter the building through the south east door beside the phone booth.
If you successfully pass the Stage 1 school and intend to race the following day, the bike must fall under vintage rules and pass a full technical inspection. Please see our Rules for a list of requirements
This is a chance to obtain your license to either drive a sidecar racing outfit or be a passenger. Drivers must supply their own machine.
Date and Location:
The Sidecar race school will be held on Thursday, May 27th, 2021 at Shannonville Motorsports Park.
The cost for the Sidecar school is $175.00 and includes sidecar-specific instruction starting with a classroom session and proceeding with skid pad practice and on-track instruction. Registrations are available on SeriesTracker.
If you have a current VRRA racing membership, you do not need to attend the general part of the classroom training but must attend sidecar-specific classroom instruction, skid pad instruction and on-track practice sessions.
If you do not have a current VRRA racing license or the equivalent, you will be required to take the Stage 1 general classroom session at 7:30 am in the RACE facilities building followed by the sidecar-specific classroom instruction, skid pad instruction and on-track practice sessions.
Stage 2 School
The VRRA Stage 2 School is only open to 2020 VRRA members. The school is led by Darrell Cooney, our current VRRA MGP 250cc Champion and multiple AHRMA 250cc winner. Working with several other pros and highly skilled control riders, Darrell will centre this school around improving racing skills to make participants faster and better racers. This one day course gives great value. It includes lots of quality track time with one-on-one instruction and has been enthusiastically endorsed by all former students.
Date and Location:
The Stage 2 race school will be held on Thursday, May 27th, 2021 at Shannonville Motorsports Park.