Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index VRRA Racing Forum General Discussion

18 inch race tires???

Ideas, Opinions, Wants, Wishes.

Moderator: Michael Vinten

18 inch race tires???

Postby Brian Stevenson » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:03 pm

What are people doing for 18" race tires?

I just spoke with parts Canada and they told me that Avon had ended production of the AM22 and AM23 so they wouldn't be getting any more in. Is it time to just bite the bullet and do a 17" conversion?

Thanks
Brian Stevenson
VRRA Member

Re: 18 inch race tires???

Postby bwaller » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:16 pm

I think it's time to change the rule so we can use the Continental radials. Heidenau have been nearly impossible to find also. Prices have been ridiculous too, something has to change.
Which way'd they go?
bwaller
VRRA Member

Postby Brian Stevenson » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:48 pm

I can't even find anyone in the US to ship Conti's to Canada as they claim they are not allowed and their 130 is a really strange shape. It won't really fit on a 2.5" rim

Maybe if there was enough people interested we could place a bulk order with a dealer in the US. I don't mind driving down and picking them up.

I think if one could be bothered it would be quite easy to prove anti-trust between Parts Canada and Parts Unlimited... Just my opinion of course...

Having said that does anyone have a good 130/650 18 AM23 they would be willing to let go?
Brian Stevenson
VRRA Member

Postby Doug Staddon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:47 pm

I think Walridge Motors can get you the Avons in about 6 weeks.
1970 Honda CR750
Doug Staddon

Postby Ian » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:29 am

Walridge gets them faster than that; can be under a week if you have them air freighted. Mike has an order arriving the first week of August and it may still be possible to add on. Avons are expensive; UK prices are not much different from what we pay here from Walridge.
Ian McQueen
Ian
VRRA Member

Postby Todd Ruston #34 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:30 am

I had a set of Conti's shipped to me from Todd Henning Racing a couple of years ago. www.thrhonda.com , a distributor for the Continental ContiRoad Attack 2 Classic Race rubber.

email : toddhenningracing@earhtlink.net

That may assist you with finding a source who is willing to ship them to Canada, however; to Brent's point, you would still have to work on the rule book.
Todd Ruston #34
VRRA Member

Postby Brian Stevenson » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:09 am

Thanks Todd. That's a good place to start. Its actually for a P3 bike so I think radials - even slicks - are allowed.

I'm also thinking about just biting the bullet and doing a 17" conversion although they look horrible and IMHO are not period correct, but I don't think the tire problem will get any better and you can get a really good 17" DOT race tire for half the price of an 18. Looking at some options at the moment
Brian Stevenson
VRRA Member

Postby TimV » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:16 am

I have to agree on the radial tire proposal for P2 and older bikes. Heidenau dropped the ball for tires this year.

Brian, while I'm with you on the period look, I think switching now is the way to go. You'll save $$ in the long run, and lose less hair worrying about finding tires for the next race. You'd have so many more options for readily available tires.
Tim Voyer #840

CMR Suzuki TR750 Replica
CMR-Seeley 350 Replica

How many boxes of these Thin Mints do I have to eat before seeing results?
TimV
VRRA Member

Postby bitzz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:02 pm

Lyn Garland will sell you the Conti's
VRRA Member
bitzz
VRRA Member

Postby johnw » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:13 pm

Brian,

I have been running the Contis on my RZ and love them. They do suck in the wet, but that isn't a surprise, they pretty much look like a cut slick. They also stand up to the coarseness of Calibogie pavement that eats up other tires in the 18" range. I bought them from a VRRA member and am looking for a way to grab them up here. It seems that every supplier in Canada only offer the DOT road rubber and not the 2CR racing compound.

I am also looking for a pair right now, let me know what route you end up taking.

John #109
johnw

Postby bwaller » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:34 pm

I've been prodding everyone I know in the US about the new 3CR. These are the same compound but have a new tread design which is supposed to help traction on a wet track. So far no real feedback!

One thing I have heard is that they are heavy compared to Avons.

I expect by next year availability will improve.
Which way'd they go?
bwaller
VRRA Member

Postby Brian Stevenson » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:11 pm

johnw wrote:Brian,

I have been running the Contis on my RZ and love them. They do suck in the wet, but that isn't a surprise, they pretty much look like a cut slick. They also stand up to the coarseness of Calibogie pavement that eats up other tires in the 18" range. I bought them from a VRRA member and am looking for a way to grab them up here. It seems that every supplier in Canada only offer the DOT road rubber and not the 2CR racing compound.

I am also looking for a pair right now, let me know what route you end up taking.

John #109

John, I'm probably just going to go with 17's.

Its probably not going to get any better. I have been talking to Avon in the UK directly. For them Canadian market is perhaps two dozen tires in a season at most so its not worth their while. I also spoke to Metzeler in Germany and they basically said the same thing about the 18" Racetec RR's. You really can't blame them.

Conti wouldn't even return calls :(

There is a distributor in the US that was set up by Cooper Tire - who own Avon - and is supposedly trying to get something going with Lang Hindle to distribute vintage tires but who know when.

I was in Santa Clara last week and even tried to buy a set there to carry back on the plane but even the US dealers have a hard time getting Avons, Although I could order a bunch from a speciality tire store like Mid West Traction as they have 5 day free shipping within the US and just have them shipped to Niagara Falls. I could go pick them up if you are interested in doing that. They also sell CR2's

At least with the 17's there are lots of options for a 110 front and a 140 rear, Dunlop even have a new set of slicks in those sizes, and they are half the price of vintage race tires

The problem with the GPZ is finding a decent set of forks with the right offset. The original forks are really long as well so clearance becomes a problem. It also has to have 2 piston calipers and no wave rotors. I'll probably have to end up cobbling together a set of brackets for SV650 calipers or something similar. The swingarm is also very narrow and even a 130 rubs on it so that would need to be swapped out as well - its not an insignificant amount of work. Its probably easier - and cheaper - just to buy a P4-F2 bike... LOL
Brian Stevenson
VRRA Member

Postby Bob Smith » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:08 am

Brian, I have a P4F2 Hurricane for sale. Good suspension, F2 front end, tach/shift light. Still has the cub number 1 plate on it (from a previous and more capable rider!). Spare rims with rains, and two sets of 1 weekend tires. Will need to run naked or add a period correct upper. PM if interested. Have moved on and would love the space back.
Bob
When in doubt, give it gas. It may not help the situation, but it will end the suspense!
Bob Smith
VRRA Member

Postby racerchris46 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:45 pm

I talked to Buff at THR (we used to race against each other in WERA and AHRMA) and he doesn't have any Contis and has lost his ability to get them direct from Conti. He doesn't actually know who can get them now. :cry:

He did say there is a new version with different tread pattern that is very good. :D

Chris
Chris Marshall #46
racerchris46

Postby TimV » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:52 pm

I think that's the 3 CR Contis. Radials though...I'm hoping we can relax the rules for P2 and older to give us this option.
Tim Voyer #840

CMR Suzuki TR750 Replica
CMR-Seeley 350 Replica

How many boxes of these Thin Mints do I have to eat before seeing results?
TimV
VRRA Member

Next

Return to General Discussion